Friday, July 18, 2014

Practice then Play

New Cello

Ever since American Girl released the musical instruments I have had my eye on the cello. I love the cello - can't play but truly appreciate those that can. Cello music an be haunting, peaceful, and even rocking! (Check out the Cellonator on YouTube.) Most recently Tori Amos and RUSH have been accompanied by strings on their tours. Anyway, the cello set was always a bit out of reach, but the latest sale offered it at half price bringing it under $30 even with shipping. It arrived yesterday!

Haley, Kaya, Kirsten, Lanie, Melody, 2 or more

Practice, Practice, Practice

(lilting, medium-toned, scale - with a squeak here and there)
Kaya! Can you come help with the new Lego set?
Not until I am finished practicing.
You're getting much better.
Thanks! I get better with practice.
Okay. I'll get the others.
(Turns page and does one more exercise)
Done.
Now, I just have to put it away.

Lock it up.
And tuck my music book away.
Ready, Lanie!
Cool! Let's take the pieces over and get started.

Lego Friends

(bags opening and pieces being dumped on the floor)
Let's get all the pieces sorted so they are easier to find.
I've got the instructions.
I've put Emma together already!
Nice.
Not quite as good as when we did the Guggenheim, but not bad.

Have you seen the long yellow piece?
No. Meatloaf, what are you doing? That tickles!
(lauging) Meatoaf found it.
Oh! (giggling) Sorry, here you go Kaya.
The map board is almost finished.
I have the picnic table almost finished.
I'm starting the car.
The passenger section is here.
Let's put them together. Looks good.
Back bumper ready to go.
Does the purse go here?
According to the book it does?
I think there should be the third brake light instead.
Yes, that's better! Done!
Too cute!


  • Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one? If no, would you like to? Which one?
  • Do you like building with Legos? If yes, do you like the generic sets or the defined model sets better?


Best wishes!


17 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,

    I don't play an instrument, (unless you count the radio! Haha!), 'cos my specialty is twirling baton. But my friend Crissy and her cousin Kerry play the guitar, Cheryl plays the violin, Danny plays the drums (well, his marching band drum), and sometimes Sunny plays the tambourine like Tracey Partridge! Legos aren't really my thing, but Danny and Jason like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julie!
      Baton twirling is cool. And between the radio and everyone else, that's a lot of music happening.

      Delete
  2. I play Violin...obviously, and i love the Lego sets, not good at building without instructions though!

    lu~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with the instructions those sets can be difficult.

      Delete
  3. Neat! :) I love that AG made it so cheap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! The cello is so cool!
    ~Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to play the Clarinet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xyra learned the clarinet. It's a great instrument. Her friend the Lady Greybach played too all the way through high school and into the local performance band. Woodwinds are wonderful instruments.

      Delete
  6. Looks like fun! I see you got your cello! Yea! I haven't gotten mine yet. Yes I like to play with legos with my grandchildren. Mostly they have me look for a piece they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, some of those pieces are really hard to place.

      Delete
  7. Cool! I play the flute! I also love Legos! I have a bunch of Lego houses.

    ~ Mint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flute is a great instrument. Keep track of your breathing - that's a challenge.
      I think we have a pink brick box that contains the pieces to house. We'll have to get that out sometime. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes it is a challenge! Cool. I have built so many lego items that I am basically out of bricks. xD

      ~ Mint

      Delete
    3. I believe it. After all the time putting it together it seems a shame to break it apart again. Franz has all his Lego buildings intact.

      Delete
  8. I play the guitar and piano (well, somewhat, I'm not very good at it xD)! I also love Lego!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy playing you will get better.
      Lego on! :-D

      Delete