Thursday, May 21, 2015

Book Review: Septimus Heap #2

Flyte

By Angie Sage

We got this book from the local library! It's been well read...and well "loved" by the readers. I'm glad Kirsten put in the request for us.


Melody

Simon, Simon, Simon...please see the light. The second book in the Septimus Heap series did not disappoint. It was a real page turner. I didn't want to put it down and was always running short of reading time in school and at home. I do wish Jenna could see everything in the secret room. Looking forward to book 3.

Haley

Loving this series. Jenna is an awesome heroine. 
She's really learning how to stand up for herself and be strong. I think she will make a really good queen. Simon needs help. Stanley needs to be less fidgety, but I guess that goes along with being a rat.

Kaya

Nicko is a wonderful brother. I'm glad Jenna and Septimus have him. This part of Septimus's story flew by. I can't believe how well the action moved along seamlessly. While I wish the Heaps listened to Jenna and Septimus in the beginning, if they had neither Jenna nor Septimus would have grown stronger. That's what they call literary devices for character development.

Kirsten


Shouldn't an ExtraOrdinary Wizard be on alert for all things and learning something every day? Ms. Python Shoes disappoints me with how she is oblivious to the Darke around her and how she brushes off Septimus's and Alther's warnings. She's a bit full of herself. I really liked how Septimus and Nicko worked together throughout this book. Spit Fyre is awesome and I can't wait to see where his story goes.

Lanie

All of us were able to read this book before we needed to send it back to the library. Quite a feat. The writing was fluid and the action flowed along in such a way that none of us wanted to put the book down. There is more to this "city" than meets the eye. I think those tunnels will be visited again or we may be introduced to new ones.  Sleuth was cool. I'd like to have one, but a light one - if they exist.

Xyra's Review

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Well, I was right to worry about Simon. But before I go too far into that part of the story...the second installment of the Septimus Heap series is really good. Well written, flowed well, with action and description to keep most readers happy (there is always someone you can't please).

In Flyte, Septimus and Jenna grew stronger in the knowledge of who they are and who they will be. Their relationship has gained an additional bond that I am very interested in seeing develop.

I was rather disappointed in the adults not believing Septimus and am glad he found a confidante in brother Nicko. I am also glad that the two of them stepped up to the challenge...well, that would be a spoiler.

The quest devise is quite prevalent in this book. There are ups and downs for everyone along the way. Very interesting action during the quest sequences.

Simon...I'd say "poor Simon" but he is bringing all his misfortune on himself. He kind of reminds me of a young Anikan Skywalker slowly morphing into Darth Vader. He is hard headed and hardhearted. Part of me hopes he can turn around and be re-accepted by his family.

The one character's name is quite unfortunate - Rupert Gringe. As this book was published in 2006, someone in the editorial staff should have persuaded the author to change it. Unless her intention was for readers to think of actor Rupert Grint every time they read the character's name (which is what I did).

I do not like DomDaniel and fear this is not the last we have seen of his bones.

I do like Sleuth, even though he is Darke.

Spit Fyre is a riot!

It was hard to put this book down. I'd start reading and the chapters would fly by, so would the time. I do think I will love this series.


Kid Lit Blog Hop #60

Maybe you have already read the Septimus Heap books. 
Check out the Kid Lit Blog Hop for more reading suggestions and reviews.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I love Spit Fyre, too! I need to get back to reading these books. I can't remember if I finished reading number four or not. I will have to look at it in the library before I take out number five. I am all set with six and seven because I bought them in hardcover from Book Outlet for $4.99 each. They had number three, but when I went to make my last order there weren't any left. Sometimes Book Outlet will only have one or two of a certain book. I want to have the entire series in HC because I adore the covers and their unique squarish shape. We have the Inkheart books in HC and they are squarish, too. I love that. My son has a book titled The Divide, and its cover opens in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know waht you mean about the unique design of the series books. They would definitely stand out on a shelf.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing in the Kid Lit Blog Hop! I love the accompanying photos to your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoy creating these posts. :-)

      Delete
  3. Glad to have found your unique family blog via the #KLBH :-)

    ReplyDelete