Monday, February 17, 2014

Olympic Snack

Meanwhile Inside...

Kirsten, Lanie, Both
Hi!
Lanie & Kirsten here. 
The other day Melody and Kaya ventured outside. While they were checking out the snow, we were preparing a super yummy Olympic-themed snack.
Actually, Lady Jem sent us an awesome treat from Germany. A Lambertz Baumkuchen Edel-Zarbitter-Scholkolade

This picture is a little blurry, but that’s it in the box.

So we opened the box and unwrapped the plastic…


And put the cake on a plate.
It’s an almond cake enrobed in dark chocolate.

Sorry, another slightly blurry picture. But doesn’t it look tasty?
The chocolate is a hard shell around the cake, so pieces break off when you cut it. Not fluffy frosting.
It’s kind of like an Entenmann’s Rich Chocolate Frosted Donut, but thicker chocolate and denser cake.
Super yummy! Thank you, Lady Jem!

Then we thought... (flashback conversation)
What should we have with the cake?
We’re watching the Olympics, right?
Oh, yeah! The Russian Morning tea from Kusmi. Awesome idea!

So we boiled our water, put tea in the glass pot, and let it steep. The hot tea was perfect with the cake.

Kirsten was thrilled Saturday when the Swedish women’s cross country team won their relay. She was funny to watch…intently muttering, “Go, Sweden!” until the last sprint when she started bouncing up and down and yelling, “Go, Kalla! Go, Kalla! Go, Kalla! Woo Hoo!”
(giggling then getting serious) We missed seeing the Swedish men win their relay.

Countries involved in the making of this post...USA, Germany, France, Russia, China, India, Sri Lanka.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day!

Best wishes,




6 comments:

  1. I have a comment about tea. The only time I like earl grey tea is when I eat chocolate cake. I take it with half and half and sugar. Strange, I know. Also, I dated a Lebanese student in college and his aunt made the most heavenly baklava. My mouth is watering right now. I don't know if there are any Lebanese teams competing in the Winter Olympics. I will have to Google it. I always love underdog teams, so right now I am loving the Japanese Womens Hockey team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that you're not supposed to use anything heavier than whole milk in tea, but if that is how you like it...I'm not challenging. :) Earl grey has a distinct taste that would pair well with chocolate cake. Of course, I like it with anything.

      Don't remember hearing Lebanon mentioned during the parade of nations, but they may have entered during a commercial break. Definitely present in the Summer Olympics.

      Yep, I love cheering for the teams like the Jamaican bobsled team. They are awesome. Didn't medal, but awesome just the same.

      Delete
    2. I found out there are two Alpine skiers from Lebanon. My father's family is French Canadian and I grew up putting half and half in my tea. I once worked for an Israeli woman who put sweetened condensed milk in her tea. The new "thing" now on college campuses is putting flavored coffee creamer in tea. I don't think I would like it.

      Delete
    3. I used to put cream or half & half in my tea, but then I did a side-by-side comparison and really noticed how the flavor of the tea was distorted. I still use them if milk is not available. Sweetened condensed milk might not be bad, but I don't like my tea super sweet. Flavored coffee creamer in tea (in my opinion) is blasphemous. :)

      Delete
  2. So awesome! Love this little post its ADORABLE!!! You do such nice post... :)
    Grace xxx ♥ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I really enjoy putting these together. :)

      Delete