Friday, April 10, 2015

Kirsten's Easter

Swedish Easter

Somewhat Americanized

A Little Late

Hi! I'm here to tell you a little bit about Easter with regards to my Swedish heritage. 
It's called pask and is a really big holiday in Sweden. Some report that it is more secular than holy, some of the beliefs and traditions have a slightly Halloween feel to them. For instance, I am dressed like the paskkarringar or Easter witch. I chose to tie my kerchief behind my head rather than under my chin and didn't redden my cheeks, but my outfit is pretty close. Girls would dress in rags and go door to to trading drawings for candy. They'd carry a tea kettle or basket to collect the treats.

There is no Easter Bunny in Sweden, but hollow eggs filled with candy are given as gifts.
Most of the time they are cardboard. Ours is tin with a cross on it. Sometimes the eggs are hidden and found by solving clues scavenger hunt style.
These are the German candies we have for Easter.
These are the Swedish candies.
First, the godis chokladagg.
This is a foil wrapped chocolate egg with butterscotch flavored filling.
The filling is kind of soft like a truffle. Very yummy!
These are godis paskkyckling. 
It says marshmallow candy, and they look kind of like the orange circus peanuts, but they are more like gummy bears.
The white tastes like vanilla and the yellow banana.
That's it for now. I'll share more Swedish Eater traditions next year.


Did you get an Easter basket filled with treats? Or go on an egg hunt? What is your favorite Easter candy?

[Note: I didn't know how to find the proper accents for the Swedish words. The a in pask should have a circle above it. The second a in paskkarringar has an umlaut/two dots over it.]

Best wishes,

1 comment:

  1. Yes ! Kaya and Kanani loved the little chocolate Easter eggs.

    ReplyDelete