Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Read-A-Palooza & Books

It's a book day!

Get your tea ready and hunker down in your favorite reading spot!

What kind of tea today...well, honestly, I'm drinking chocolate malt Ovaltine - not tea at all; chocolate milk. BUT it is in a tea cup!

Quick note on a layout change. I'm not happy with how the polls work, so I'm taking them out and adjusting the game questions to be trivia bits instead.

American Girl Read-A-Palooza


AG Read-A-Palooza started May 1 and runs through August 26. Click Read-A-Palooza for details and more. You'll find links to pieces of stories, trivia, printable activities (my favorite), and much more. In the bottom right corner it explains, "Through August 26, $1 of every book purchased through American Girl goes to Save the Children's US Literacy Program (up to a maximum of $100,000). E-book sales do not qualify for donation."

If you live near a store they have free reading and meet the author events. [I wish they'd build one in Philadelphia or King of Prussia or somewhere in southeastern Pennsylvania.]

Read-A-Palooza is part of American Girl's Shine One Now effort. Check out Shine On Now and the Ambassador Tool Kit. The kit is a free, printable, pdf file. It give you ideas on how to help out around your neighborhood.

Since We're Talking Books...

Xyra and I just finished reading Nancy Drew Diaries #1: Curse of the Arctic Star.
This is my review.  I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I really liked it.

Nancy and her friends are asked to help find out who is sabotaging the first voyage of a new cruise line.  The cruise takes place over summer break. Nancy, Bess, and George head to Vancouver, British Columbia to start the journey to Alaska.

Strange things start happening before they even leave the dock. Some things even seem to be pointed directly at Nancy (Who would go after Nancy? She's cool!) while the ship is huge, the list of suspects is short.

The story is easy to read and flows nicely. I don't want to spoil it for you, but there is a cliffhanger that leads the reader to book #2, Strangers on a Train. I'm looking forward to that one.

See more New Nancy Drew

As I said, Xyra read it too.Her review is bit different. Click to read Xyra's Curse of the Arctic Star review.

Have a great day!
Melody Q (& Xyra too)

No comments:

Post a Comment