Thursday, August 2, 2018

XBR4OF #12: Red Rising #2

Xyra's Book Review for Older Followers


Golden Sun by Pierce Brown

Wow! I can't believe I waited so long to share this review with you. I've devoured books 1-3 (look for the book 3 review next week) in this series and am poised to read book 4 (Iron Gold) soon. Book 5 is not out until January or later. But I've joined a Howlers Facebook group to wait it out. I haven't quite figured out my Howler name yet. Anyway, I have borrowed all of these books from the library and unfortunately I do not have the blurb from the book to share. Let's get down to business, shall we?

The Review

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Oh, WOW! That is exactly what I said when I read the last paragraph.

So this quote is from a character who feels he is doing good, but does not see he too is immersed in greed and zealotry. "...born from a species that devoured its planet instead of investing in the future. Pleasure over all, damn the consequences. The brightest minds enslaved to an economy that demanded toys instead of space exploration or technologies that could revolutionize our race. They created robots, neutering the work ethic of mankind, creating generation of entitled locusts. countries hoarded their resources, suspicious of one another. There grew to be twenty different factions with nuclear weapons. Twenty-each ruled by greed and zealotry."

This sequel picks up where book one left off. I like when that happens. Darrow makes some mistakes, but I understand the way he leads. I do wish he were a bit more suspicious.

Action packed. Character growth. Relationship twists and turns. Everything you expect from a book based on revolution and war. Some wonderful moments and epiphanies as well.

This installment ended and made me want the next book immediately. Keeps the reader on pins and needles, but also wondering what deviousness is yet to come. These people are true schemers who are so very ego- and color-centric; they have no idea of decency (at least most don't).

Definitely a good read, but be certain go in order!

I called the library about 5 minutes after finishing Golden Son to be sure they had Morning Star on hand. I picked it up two days later and started reading right away. 

Have you read any series where you had to have the next installment right away? Or one where you were on pins and needles waiting for the next installment to be released? If yes, what series was it? 

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes I love the first 3 books of this series SO much! I ended up rereading them via audio and totally enjoyed every second. 😍The cliffhangers are wild right?! I'm glad you had Morning Start to go onto and didn't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely! There are some where you are totally like, "No! No! That just did not happen?!" I have three books I'm working on before I can move on to Iron Gold.
      ~Xyra

      Delete