Monday, March 14, 2016

Fashion Review: OG Red Letter Day

OG Retro Outfit

Red Letter Day

Trying on Clothes Can Be Trying

This is not good. Do I really have to come out.
Yes, please.
Okay, but this looks much longer on the package and website, and the shoes...
Do your best. Remember this is a review.
(sighs) This is so embarrassing.
Report, please.
(heavy sigh) Okay, the Our Generation Red Letter Day retro outfit comes with 1 jumper, 1 turtleneck, 1 pair of socks, 1 belt, and 1 pair of glasses. The glasses are fun, but a little big and the pink is too pale. The knee socks are nice; they have a dark pink scallop edge, except the toe seam is kind of uncomfortable. The orange turtleneck and dark pink belt are great, but I don't like the belt color for this outfit. 
The orange and red shoes don't fit with or without the socks on. Hmpf.
The burgundy, corduroy jumper is waaaayyyyyy too short. I can't sit down in this. I love the color, but it's more like a tunic than a dress.
Do you have any ideas to salvage the outfit?
Oh, Sure. Everything but the shoes can be used in mixing and matching with other wardrobe pieces. Hmmm, I wonder if the shoes will fit Haley?
Can you show us alternatives?
Okay, so I just grabbed a few things. These ideas aren't perfect, but a place to start. The red in the jumper matches the red in our one plaid skirt. I also changed out the pink pelt for the brown one from the Boho Beauty outfit. I'm glad I thought to grab the brown mary janes; these are much better.
Definitely more modest.
Ohhh, I'm liking this version a LOT! Wow! Yeah.
How do I look?
Great!
These are the leggings from the Mad About Plaid outfit.

Here's the photo from the box. 
I guess their model is showing as much leg as I. 
I was not comfortable; it's just too short to use as a dress without tights, and even with tights. I like it much better as a tunic.

How would you use this outfit? What is your favorite piece? Which of the looks is your favorite?


Xyra's Review

  • The Red Letter Day Our Generation Retro Outfit was marked $3.88 at Target. A good price. 
  • All items are made with sturdy materials and seem well constructed (with the exception of the hem length and shoes).
  • Nice mixing and matching pieces.
  • The jumper is way too short on Grace, I can't even imagine how it would be on Melody. Might be a bit longer on Haley, but not much.
  • No avoiding upskirt photos with this one unless you pair with opaque tights, another skirt, leggings, or pants.
  • The turtleneck has two narrow strips of velcro in back. The hook side of the velcro will catch on the shirt.
  • The shoes are molded plastic and usually I like them. They'd work without the t-strap.
  • As shown on the box: 3 of 5 stars. For additional wardrobe pieces: 4 out of 5 stars.

Details

Main outfit: OG retro outfit Red Letter Day
Skirt: Amy Shepherd
Brown Belt: OG Boho Beauty
Leggings: OG Mad About Plaid

A bientot!


Note: Tea Time with Melody Q is not affiliated with American Girl or Our Generation. The outfit mentioned above was purchased locally for our collection. The review is unsolicited and comprised or our own words and honest opinions. All links are provided for educational and informational purposes; no purchase is required.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good to know. I think we have a few pairs of tights that would go with this outfit.
      ~Grace

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of that skirt I made for Kit a while back, eeek! I do like it with the tights though, that looks modest yet trendy. Why do some of these companies make everything so short? I've noticed that with a few AG items as well and won't buy them because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I started noticing AG was shifting the body type on the dolls - the sightseeing outfit (one of my favorites) the waist was snug and the skirt is shorter on Melody than it appeared in the catalog. Tights make it all god. :)
      ~Xyra

      Delete
  3. *From Julie's doll mom, Sharry:*

    We have this outfit, too. Although it is a little short, I like it. My AG doll Sunny wore it first, and although it was a struggle, I actually got the shoes to fit. I wouldn't keep doing it, though, or the straps might break. I need to try them on my Springfield Collection dolls who have slimmer legs. I don't like it w/ the belt, though. I think jumpers look best w/o a belt. I'm sorry you didn't like this outfit so much. My dolls think it's pretty groovy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Julie's Groovy Mom, Sharry! Yikes! I'm sorry it sounds like we didn't like it. The length of the jumper made me super self conscious. And those shoes...I'm glad you got them to work. Otherwise we really like the outfit. It is, as you say, pretty groovy.
      ~Grace

      It's a great wardrobe enhancer - 4 great pieces. The colors (orange and burgundy) look great on Grace. We might have to try a who wears it best. :)
      ~Xyra

      Delete
  4. I think the jumper is too short by itself, too. I think leggings are the best thing to pair with it. :)
    ~Christian Homeschooler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's my favorite pairing. Looking forward to trying it with other outfits.
      ~Grace

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete