Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Review: Beatrice Bailey #4

The Witches of Winged-Horse Mountain

by Sandra Forrester

If you look back at our recent reviews you'll see a couple of fours. What can you do when publishers don't add a tiny number to the cover or spine? Of course, this one was our fault as it was a rush purchase - found it at the Library used book sale - and there were clues on the front and back cover. If I had read the covers more closely  I'd have seen the tiny writing under the title, "A new Beatrice Bailey Adventure." And other titles on the back cover. Enough on that; let's get to the reviews!


Kaya

This was awesome! I loved Balto and Plum. Beatrice and her friends make a great team. I really hope she finishes her quest successfully. So much could happen. Oh, it didn't matter that I read this first. This adventure begins and ends in one book. Plus Beatrice gives enough info for me to know she was successful in her previous challenges.




Lanie

If you were to start reading the Harry Potter series with The Goblet of Fire, you would not be disappointed. It is a well crafted and self contained story. The same is true here. However, I think Harry would inspire me to go back to book 1 and start from the beginning. Beatrice did not. I don't think I want to read the first three books, but I am interested in finding out what happens next. 

Haley

This tutor fellow is really annoying. How can he be so blind not to see that Beatrice is exactly the type of witch he wants to research. I like how Beatrice is able to slip away from him and get everything done that she needs to.


Kirsten

This was a fun quest and mystery story. Beatrice follows the information she is given about her quest and also finds herself surrounded by shady characters. Her questions pay off as she finds out more about these characters and how they can help or hinder her success in her mission.

Melody

I'm glad Kaya picked this one out at the book sale. Even if it is out of order, it was a fun read. Filled with action, adventure, mystery, and tough decisions. Beatrice grows a lot during her quest to Blood Mountain. I enjoyed every page, but maybe not every character. That tutor...ugh! (giggling)


Grace

My first book review! I have a lot of reading to do. 
Started with Beatrice Bailey. She's a fun girl; really talented too. I'd like to have her as a friend; I think I could help her with her non-magical world classes.

Xyra

The Witches of Winged-Horse Mountain (Beatrice Bailey, #4)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Witches of Winged-Horse Mountain is actually book four in the Beatrice Bailey series by Sandra Forrester.  I have said it before and will say it again...please, authors and publishers, put a number on the cover or spine. That one tiny graphic is exceedingly helpful to readers.

The good thing about this story is it does stand alone well.  Yes, I was missing a bit of history and character background, but not enough to make the adventure incomplete.  In fact, the main character and narrator was able to give enough background in reminiscences that I felt comfortable in my reading.

Overall the story is well crafted.  The setting is similar to other magical series where magical folk live among humans, but there is also a separate world where all is magic (Think Harry Potter, Bewitched; Sabrina, the Teenage Witch; Wizards of Waverly Place, etc.). Beatrice is tasked with breaking spells set by Dally Rumpe freeing three sisters and their father and setting the Bailiwick family to rights.

In this part of the quest, Beatrice and her friends have to got to Winged-Horse Mountain and Blood Mountain. Beatrice learns a lot about her friends, family, and self. Beatrice is not fond of her new found witchy fame and the quest that disturbs her normal studies. The tutor provided is not helpful at all and he misses the chance to actually study Beatrice who is a witch living with prolonged stress. It's amazing he misses that she is a prime candidate for his research.

Beatrice and her friends are very nice. They show true loyalty to each other and are close knit. They do not want to allow Miranda into their circle (and for very good reasons). In the end, cooperation is key.

If you enjoy magical quest stories with teens as the main characters, this series is one to try. However, I hope you start with book one: The Everyday Witch. Follow through with the others: The Witches of Friar's Lantern, The Witches of Sea Dragon Bay. I am looking forward to books five and six (The Witches of Bailiwick and The Witches of Widdershins Academy).

Have you ever found yourself reading a series out of order? What did you do?

Kid Lit Blog Hop


The Kid Lit Blog Hop is a monthly series. Participants and their followers can see other book reviews or literature related posts and interviews by bloggers, authors, publicists, and publishers. Check out the January 2016 hop; you may find something very interesting. 

Happy reading!


#KidLitBlogHop

6 comments:

  1. This book would win my niece's heart at the title alone -- it includes witches and winged horses! Thanks for sharing. Hopping over from the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So glad you hopped over. That's what caught our attention too. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the way you do book reviews, so fun!
    Thanks for coming by the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    Naila Moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) It's fun being a part of the hop.
      ~Xyra

      Delete
  3. The way you do book review is awesome. I liked the "Harry Potter" comparison. Talking about reading the fourth part first, I have done it before (as I am always attracted to book covers and missed seeing small numbers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you like our reviews. Yes, totally agree about being attracted by the covers. We tend to find out the book is a series instead of a stand alone when we log them into goodreads. :) Stop by again soon.

      Delete