Monday, June 8, 2015

Fashion Review: OG Riding Habit and Horse Care

Proper Riding Attire

Our Generation: Lily Anna's Riding Habit and Horse Care Set


Overview

This accessory set is awesome. It comes with black riding boots, white socks, brown riding breeches, ivory tee shirt, pink plaid riding jacket, and black riding hat. PLUS a bucket, sponge, grooming mitten, brush, spray bottle, bag of feed, birthday card, birthday hat band, and thank you letter.
[Butter Brandy is a My Life As horse. She came with a few things, but no grooming accessories like many of the Our Generation horses and foals do.]


 

Getting Dressed

It was difficult to put on the pants. And they didn't want to close properly. 

Then I realized they were on backwards. So I tried again. 

They went on a bit easier, but still had a hard time closing.

The tee short is really silky. It went on easily.

Oh, my! The jacket. The cuffs are tight. I can barely get my hand through the right cuff. The left was a bit better.
These are new riding boots, so they are really stiff. I really wish I had a long-handled shoe horn or boot jack. I'm glad there are laces on the back; I undid them and still had trouble getting them on.

 

Modeled










With Butter Brandy



You have to see the tools in use. The mitten barely fits.
Same with the brush, but it's not so bad. It would have been better to have an elastic handle.


Here's a better look at the tee shirt. 



Xyra's Notes

I haven't had this much trouble with an OG outfit before. This is definitely not for a young child or even an impatient teen or adult.
  • The pants waist and legs are tight. I had to shift and twist to get them on.
  • The jacket was very frustrating. I almost thought I wouldn't get it on, but these cuffs were better than the Cabin Chic blouse.
  • The boots...persistence can be key. I thought I'd have to increase the slit down the back, but eventually I got them on and tied nicely. They look great, but are too big.

    The portion covered by the mitten is just air. Her toes end just before the mitten. I'm not sure I will put them on again or just use Josefina's riding boots.
  • The birthday card and thank you note are personalized to fit Lily Anna's story. I will put them aside. 

Do you go horseback riding? If yes, what is your favorite part of the ride? If no, do you like horses? Do you have a favorite breed?

Enjoy!


Note: Tea Time with Melody Q is not affiliated with American Girl or Our Generation. This outfit was purchased for our collection from a local Target. The review is unsolicited and comprised of our honest thoughts and opinions. All links provided are for educational and informative purposes; no purchase is suggested or required.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you posted this, I've debated on this set a couple of times. The reviews on the Target website complained about some of the same issues you did, so it wasn't just a fluke either way.

    I used to ride when I was younger. I enjoyed all of it, my friend owned them and we would ride all over their property and the neighborhood. Hers were quarter horse and pony mixes, but my all time favorite breed is a Morgan, such versatile horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the pants are color fast and am glad it came with socks. Kaya may be wearing this for awhile. I have taken the jacket off, so she doesn't fry in the rising temperatures.

      I've had a few lessons, but have never been comfortable in the saddle. Love horses though.

      Delete
  2. I wish the outfit was easier to get on but thanks for the great review and a heads up about the items not fitting correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I had to share the pros and cons of this set. Now that it is on, the pros are outweighing the cons, but I'm certain to be reminded when I try to change outfits. :-D

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the review. It helps me make a decision about buying this item. I use a spoon to help me get on hard to get on shoes or boots. Either end of the spoon works, depending on the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the great "shoe horn" tip. A spoon would be perfect. :-)

      Delete