Sunday, July 18, 2021

Coolspring June 2021

A little Late

How frustrating?!  I was hoping to have a signature added for my first official long post. Oh, well!  The place we used before doesn't seem to give a code any more, just the png or jpg files. (sighs)  Still searching!

Join Me in the Way Back Machine

June 16 

The others weren't kidding!  We left early in the morning and headed west.  Our first stop was in St Mary's PA.  Franz was delivering an railroad motor car to the crew at the Bucksgahuda & Western Railroad.  I explored a little while the others talked.





Then we headed out to Coolspring!
Franz and Prof M unloaded the trailer while we set up housekeeping.
Tent camping is so much fun.  We're the only tents among a few RVs.  Seems like a great "neighborhood."  (giggles)




The rest of the day I just kind of walked around getting the lay of the land.  Xyra tends to call it a campus and Prof M laughs at her and says, "You mean the grounds?"

June 17

Today was exciting!  Flo from Say Hello to My Little Friends was coming.  I couldn't wait to see who accompanied her. 
Wendy!
We met up on Main Street and headed down to the food court for lunch.  We hit Dana's hot dog truck.  Then we headed to the Himes Ice Cream Stand. Yum-my!


What should we do next?

Do you want to see our tent?
Sure!
This is a neat set up!  I think we have one like it.



Cool!
All too soon we had to say goodbye.  
We stopped by the Hornsby-Akroyd on our way out.  


After seeing Wendy and Flo off, I went with Xyra for Gate duty.
I helped her get the new maps to hand out and set up a small display of hand sanitizer.


After gate duty and dinner I went to the Lillibridge building to see the Miller run. 


Then over to the Susong building.  There was a lot going on there!


Such a pretty night!


Xyra and I went up on the hill to Pat's Place to see this interesting engine running. 


June 18

It's funny, everyone told me to watch for "the jeep." But I think I like this mobile cooler better!

Xyra was so happy to see the Hornsby-Akroyd running again, we stopped by there a lot.  (giggles)


Wendy had asked about the oldest engine in the museum collection, but we didn't find it before they had to go home.  So we asked Prof M and Doc, the two most knowledgeable people about the collection.  They both said the same engine, but gave different years.
We found it in the Sousong building.  It's on loan to Coolspring from the henry Ford Museum.
The Otto.  It was patented in 1876 and built 1877.







There are quite a few Ottos in the collection.  


Did you catch where this was manufactured...Philly!
This one is a twin!



Huge!
Later Friday night, Reid gave a presentation on the Miller.  


It was very interesting.

June 19

Today was a day to do more exploring.  So many great engines to see.  




















There was a storm and rainbow around dinner time.

Twilight is so pretty out here.

And a full moon.

Then a few of us headed to the library to watch a movie called Airplane.  


It was funny, but I didn't get all the jokes.  The others laughed a LOT! 

June 20

Packing day!  After a great breakfast at Punxsy Phil's and packing up the truck we headed east.  It was a great trip.  Looking forward to going back some time. Xyra likes the engines for their design and sound.  I think the flywheels are kind of hypnotic. 

Thank you for stopping by to see my adventure.  Hope you had a nice weekend!

Have a great day!  

signature-fonts
#CoolspringPowerMuseum

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding that out, will have to check out the Otto's next time. Love the wardrobe selections for this trip too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome; we had fun trying to find the answer to your question. Thank you; Mel and Pen and the others helped me pack.
      ~Bevy

      Delete
  2. It sounds like fun was had by all.

    I haven't ventured out in the state too much. I do want to try to get to the Ephrata Cloister.

    I went to Starbucks last month. It was the first time in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had a great time.

      We hope you get there. Or at least to Starbucks a few more times. :-)

      Delete