Friday, January 19, 2018

Book Review: Meet Cecile

Meet Cécile

by Denise Lewis Patrick

Breaking News...

This is Lanie Silverleaf out and about looking for opinions on the book Meet Cécile. These two recently read the book, let's get their thoughts.
Your name?
I'm Kirsten.
I'm Grace.
Kirsten what are your thoughts on this book?
I loved this book. It was similar to book one, Meet Marie-Grace, but from a different point of view. So we get the answers to the question, "What was Cécile thinking when this happened?" 
And you, Grace?
This reminded me of Josefina's journey into Santa Fe and meeting Americanos. It's interesting to see how New Orleans was a large melting pot of people and culture.
Thank you, Kirsten and Grace. I see two other people. Let's see if we can get their thoughts? Hello, I'm Lanie Silverleaf. You are?
Lea.
Melody.
And have you read Meet Cécile?
Yes. I enjoyed learning about the free people of color and how successful the Rey family was. It's not something we're taught in school.
Melody?
Mean girls and people seem to be all over the place. Cécile handled them well; especially at the Children's Ball.
Thank you. I see two more people we can talk to. Your names, please?
I'm Kaya.
I'm Haley.
What are your thoughts on the book Meet Cécile?
Cecile helping Marie-Grace get familiar with her heritage really made me think about the best way to treat new people. Sometimes we aren't so nice when our expectations aren't met about them knowing as much as we, ourselves do. Plus Cécile's parrot is a riot!
(giggles) I love how the parrot repeats things. Too funny. But I also liked learning the French words like pain perdu for what we call French toast. But my favorite part was the Looking Back at New Orleans in 1853. It's a bit of history we don't get in Social Studies class and the pictures and illustrations helped me visualize the story.
Thank you. 
And there you have it; opinions from the street on Meet Cécile by Denise Lewis Patrick. Find it at your local library.

Xyra's Review
Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)Meet Cécile by Denise Lewis Patrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a great book! An interesting concept in this best friends series.

In book one we met Marie-Grace and experienced her first few months back in New Orleans including the moment when she makes a new friend named Ceclie. In this book we get to see Cecile's life and then the moments she meets Marie-Grace from her perspective.

What makes it so interesting is that we get to see how different their home lives are, but also see their friendship bloom and grow.

Also very interesting is seeing how life could be for free people of color during the 1800s. The history aspect is very important to me. Seeing the glimpses of life during the early years of the US makes me appreciate the current amenities I have more.


Have you read Meet Céclie? What are your thoughts? Please comment here. To join a bigger conversation on the book check out the Say Hello to My Little Friends Book Club post.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Loved Lanie's approach to this!! Perhaps we need to send her to Washington DC as the "Doll On The Street"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes for a fun review! I believe this is one of the American Girl series? I haven't read this one (I don't think; I sometimes skim through these when things are slow at the library), but in general it's a surprisingly good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of the American Girl series books. The Marie-Grace/Cecile series is set in 1854.
      ~Xrya

      Delete