Friday, December 19, 2014

All the way from France

The French Rag Doll

Annette

This is Annette (pronounced ahn-yet). 


I found her on a trip to France. She was in the boutique at our hotel in small town near where the Channel crossing ferry lands. As soon as I saw her I had to have her...well, I waited until after breakfast the next day, but I bought her before we left for our next destination.

Sadly, her bonnet has been lost and her pantaloons have seen better days. She is still lovely and huggable.

If she could stand, she'd be taller than an American Girl doll. Her shoes are permanent. I think her dress is too. Both are a pretty, pink floral calico material with ivory lace trim. The thread that gathered the main part of the bonnet broke, so it no longer fit her head and is why it is missing.

Her face...the beautiful, big, brown eyes; button nose, tiny smile, and lovely blushing cheeks - who could resist her?

Every time I see her on her perch (not normally on the porch), she reminds me of the channel crossing and the birthday dinner we had for one of my schoolmates. It was the first time any of us had seen the tall slender candles used on French birthday cakes. And also the lovely little town and gardens we toured before making our way up to Paris.

Do you have a doll or other item that reminds you of something great in your life? If yes, please share what it is in a comment below.

Best wishes,

2 comments:

  1. I love your Annette, and how much more special that she's a reminder of your trip to France. I used to have a few rag dolls that looked like her growing up. Unfortunately my mom got rid of them one day when she was cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the way? Mom's get a bit funny when they are cleaning. Mine used my building blocks to make macrame planters for baby shower gifts.

      Delete